Sep 19, 2009

The squirrel in me...

You can't beat the great deals at all of the case lot sales lately. I feel like a squirrel getting ready for winter! I'm stashing food away like we live 100 miles from the nearest grocery store. I seem to feel the need to stash food away every Fall, I think a lot of others are the same way, which is probably why the case lot sales end up in the fall. I think about when Danny and I were first married and even when we only had Natalie, I would throw away so much food because we could never eat it all before it went bad. Now days we rarely throw anything away, and I have become a coupon clipper and a sale watcher!
Here is part of my stash!
This year we grew a garden for the first time. We had lots of tomatoes so my Mom helped me can some, a first for me too. I also made strawberry freezer jam when I found strawberries on sale.
We also grew lots onions and potatoes. We all enjoyed taking care of the garden and watching it grow. Danny is planning to make it bigger next year. Austin and I dug potatoes this week and moved them to the basement. Hopefully, we will be able to use them through the winter. I don't know if it's the economy or just that we have hungry kids to feed, but it makes me feel secure knowing we have food stocked away. I never thought I would be such a bargain hunter, but it's been fun seeing how much money you can save. Natalie loves going grocery shopping with me and reading the receipt to see how much we saved, as soon as we get home she runs in to show Danny. Hopefully we will have enough food to make it through the winter, but if there comes a day when our food storage is running low and the kids are starving...Crisp's is only a mile away!!

4 comments:

cold cocoa said...

I know! I need to get out to the store and start stocking up. I always buy a ton of cereal when it's on sale, but we go through it so fast!

Karen said...

You're inspiring me! I've tried the coupon thing in the past, but I wasn't good at it. Maybe I need to try again!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you aren't stocking up because you neighbor borrows too much???

Cristina said...

Jamie-I borrow just as much as you do! That reminds me, I still owe you two batteries.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed